With all of the “revolutions”, “civil wars”, “brutal dictatorships” that constantly pepper news media coverage, an ongoing situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly known as Zaire) has been relatively absent from what would be proportionately expected news media exposure. It has been, however, no less bloody (believe me) or profitable for economically interested parties.
In brief summary, here are a few facts to define the extremely perilous circumstance.
**6 to 8 million people have been killed in the past 14 years - 3 to 4 millions of which have been children (That’s over 1000 deaths every day for 14 years!!!).
**500,000 women, men and children have been raped since 1996 - a daily average of 1152 rapes per day in the DR Congo.
**80% of the world’s known reserves of coltan, a key mineral for mobile phone manufacturing exists in the DR Congo.
**450,000 artisanal miners, including children work in unregulated, foreign-controlled coltan extraction mines. There is no transparency or security for the people working in these mines.
**85 American and European companies that have been identified as directly benefiting from the illegal trade of coltan, diamonds, gold and other commodities. Thus, they promote a predatory war.
**For 19 years the United States and Great Britain have given multi-faceted support to Paul Kagame, President of Rwanda to muzzle, intimidate, bully and kill dissidents; promote rape and massacres in DR Congo.
**There are 3,200 plant species endemic to the DR Congo. 12.5% of the world’s rainforest lies in the DRC. 30% of this forest will be gone by 2030, if the war continues.
So, to tackle this gargantuan misdeed, my friend BK ( https://www.facebook.com/bk.kumbi?fref=ts) of the congo along with 3 other fellow nationals are organizing. They’ve launched this initiative - Don’t Be Blind This Time http://www.dontbeblindthistime.org/ .
Its aims are:
1. A Congolese-run organization with no imperialist or economic compromisation, providing the facts about the Congo to the European public.
2. To be the foremost public authority, on all matters DRC, in Europe
3. Open and maintain direct communication lines with the European public with the purpose of educating them on the reality of the Congo and organizing this public to agitate via all available legal means to bring an end to European institutional and corporate involvement in the humanitarian disaster, in the Congo.
DBBTT’s first public step toward’s accomplishing its goals is a Sept 14th takeover of a London square by as many individuals as possible in a flashmob style depiction of the enormous humanitarian atrocity of the situation in the DRC. We need as many of you and your friends take part in this endeavour.
The point of the takeover will be:
1. Depict the situation.
2. Pass out professionally designed information flyers (similar to the one attached) to members of the public providing key information about the DRC and asking the key question, “On a scale of 1 to 10, how indifferent are you?”
3. Collect email addresses and other contact information of members of the public
The entire takeover will be filmed by 2 Swiss journalists who are currently creating a documentary about the situation in the Congo.
Join and share this https://www.facebook.com/events/267476006710939 event to register your participation. We need to keep track of numbers and a centralized means of communicating with all participants
The circumstances in the Congo are unthinkable and are being deliberately obscured by global media. If you live in London, England; you definitely ought to take part in and share this initiative.